Monday, September 16, 2013

EuroBasket 2013 - French Playbook Part 1

Hello!

I never intended to have a blog of my own or participate in the blogging world, however I don't like spaming folks' twitter timelines and every now and then I'd like to add a few words to some of the videos I'm uploading.

With NBA training camp still a few weeks away, I'm currently watching lots of EuroBasket, which has been a whole lot of fun.
Obviously I'm looking at what teams do from an X's & O's standpoint, since that's sorta what I do.

Today, a few thoughts on France, who will face EuroBasket host Slovenia in the upcoming quarter-finals.
France's offense is pretty NBA-y compared to some of the other EuroBasket teams. A little more straight to the point, without being overly simplistic.

The first thing that stuck out to me is that France has borrowed a few sets from Gregg Popovich and the Spurs. The Tony Parker connection, I guess.

Does this look familiar at all?



It should, if you follow the NBA :).



How about this?



Yup, you've seen that before as well.



France runs a few other -- Spurs unrelated -- common NBA sets/action, too.

Among them, this 4-5 Pick-and-Roll set that, although I have not seen France go to this yet at this year's EuroBasket, they did have success with in crunch time against Serbia in one of their preparation games.



Of course, we've seen this in the NBA, too, perhaps most famously with the Hawks, who also used this as a crunch time set.



France also makes use of this common NBA pick and roll setting:



Same set-up below, only with the ball-handler utilizing the screen of the center, instead of the (spread) 4, which thus triggers a slightly different action.



There are a few other typical NBA sets in the French playbook and obviously, France's head coach Vincent Collet has implemented some stuff of his own, too -- some of which I'll get to tomorrow. Time allowing some sets/actions of other teams, too. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment